Monday, June 11, 2007

The all-encompassing trip

I haven’t updated in a while because I have been traveling all over California and Oregon visiting friends and family. I said my goodbyes to the northern California coast, redwoods, and my hippie friends—all of which contributed to my time in Arcata being truly enjoyable.

After I left Arcata I headed north up to the beautiful Applegate valley, and my parents house. I spent four days lounging around with my family, picking strawberries, and soaking in the spring Oregon sun. This visit went by way to fast as it always does, it’s all right though because while I was there I successfully divided my time between my parents and my four other siblings.


I am now settling down for a few months in Davis, CA. I really didn’t know what to expect from this little valley town, however, I have been delightfully surprised. Beautiful trees line the streets letting just enough light through to dramatically illuminate people as they cruise by my house on beach cruisers and skateboards.

As I drove up Highway 1 a few days ago I had the pleasure of driving alongside the ocean as the sunset. My window was down, my favorite Pearl Jam album serenaded me, and the coastal air blew away all my unease. It’s funny how subtle moments like this can ease all troubling thoughts and emotions. I felt at peace.


“Do you see the way that tree bends?
Does it inspire?
Leaning out to catch the sun's rays
A lesson to be applied
Are you getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Have you ideas on how this life ends?
Checked your hands and studied the lines
Have you the belief that the road ahead, ascends off into the light?
Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
To find an approach and a way to live
Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

You can spend your time alone re-digesting past regrets, oh
Or you can come to terms and realize
You're the only one who cannot forgive yourself, oh
Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.”

…….as sung by Eddie Vedder.

No comments: